The ChainFree Living Online Community Forums: Discover Your True Self...
Register Latest Topics

Author   Comment  
CFLiving

Administrator
Reply with quote  #1 

Frequently Asked Questions

The purpose of the ChainFree Living Community Forum is to provide free online resources, tools, education, and support for anyone who is engaged in the courageous (albeit challenging) process of recognizing, recovering, reclaiming, and realizing their True-Self nature.

Logging In For The First Time Via Email Notification

After registering, you will immediately receive an email verification with link. Click this link and follow the log-in instructions. Once logged in, to enter the forum for the first time, click into 'Categories', which you can find beneath 'Control Panel' 'Search', etc, at the top of the forums, to the left of 'Account Settings'. Remember also to go to the 'Control Panel' to create your forum profile so that we can get to know you better - This adds so much to the 'community' feel we seek to cultivate here with our registered members.

Login and Registration Issues

Why can’t I login (or register?)

There are several reasons why this could occur. First, ensure your username and password are correct. If you are a new visitor and trying to register, make sure you are entering your username and EMAIL address, and also a password. If you are having trouble registering, please Contact Rebecca so that she may personally assist you. 

Why do I need to register at all?

Registering to participate in our forums is always free, and will give you access to additional features not available to guest users such as being able to create a user profile; being able to participate in our online forum discussions and private groups; the ability to create definable avatar images; the ability to email fellow users; free blog subscription; etc. It only takes a few moments to register so it is recommended you do so as ultimately it is our members who together co-create a community feel.

I registered but cannot login

First, check your username and password. If they are correct, then one of two things may have happened. You may not have verified your registration via the email that was immediately sent to you upon registering. You simply need to follow the instructions, set (or reset) your password, to log in successfully. If you did not receive an e-mail, you may have provided an incorrect e-mail address or the e-mail may have been picked up by a spam filer. If you are sure the e-mail address you provided is correct, Contact Rebeccaso she may personally assist you.

I registered in the past but cannot login any more

In rare cases it is possible our server’s spam filters blocked your IP Address for unknown reasons; it is also possible that an administrator or moderator has deactivated or deleted your account for some reason (although you will typically receive an alert email before this happens). Also, many boards periodically remove users who have not posted for a long time to reduce the size of the database. If this has happened, try registering again and being more involved in discussions.

I’ve lost my password and/or username

No worries. Your username can be retrieved and sent to you. While your password cannot be retrieved, it can easily be reset. Visit the login page and click I’ve forgotten my password and/or username. Please use the email address associated with your account. Follow the instructions and you should be able to log in again shortly. If not, Contact Rebecca so she can assist you personally.

How Do I Delete My Account?

Users are free to delete their account without having to go through an Administrator. Simply go to your ‘Control Panel’ and click into your username next to the right of the ‘Welcome’. Then look below your username and click ‘delete’, to the right of the ‘edit’ button. That’s it!

Why Can’t I Email, Post ‘New Topic’, or Reply?

Only registered users that are logged in can reply to posts, create new topics, and send e-mail to other users via the built-in e-mail form, and only if the administrator has enabled this feature. This is to prevent malicious use of our forums and e-mail system by anonymous users.

How do I prevent my username appearing in the online user listings

Within your User Control Panel, under “Preferences”, you will find the option “Invisible Mode”, along with some other preferences. Just check the box next to ‘Invisible Mode’ to navigate our forums privately and will hide your online status. You will only appear to the administrators, moderators, and yourself. Although we encourage participation and offer private groups for those who wish to share more sensitive issues, you are free to use ‘invisible mode’ whenever you like.

How do I change my my personal settings?

If you are a registered user, all your settings are stored in the board database. To alter them, visit your User Control Panel; this system will allow you to change all your settings and preferences.

The times are not correct

It is possible the time displayed is from a timezone different from the one you are in. If this is the case, visit your User Control Panel and change your timezone to match your particular area. Please note that changing the timezone, like most settings, can only be done by registered users. If you are not registered, this is a good time to do so.

How do I show an image along with my username?

There are two images which may appear along with a username when viewing posts. The one that displays with your posts and replies is your ‘Avatar’ image (which you may set up in in your ‘Control Panel’). Another image can be your actual ‘profile’ image. Avatars are allowed on this site.

Posting Issues

How do I post a topic in a forum?

To post a new topic in a forum, click the relevant button on either the forum or topic screens. You wi need to register and/or log in before you can post a topic or reply.

How do I edit or delete a post?

Unless you are a board administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete (for a very limited time after submission) your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post, for only a limited time after the post was made. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic which lists the number of times you edited it along with the date and time. This will only appear if someone has made a reply; it will not appear if a moderator or administrator edited the post, though they may leave a note as to why they’ve edited the post at their own discretion. Please note that registered users who are not moderators cannot delete a post once someone has replied.

How do I ‘Reply’ To A Post / Topic?

1. The little pencil icon in the top right corner of the post you are replying to creates an embedded reply that both quotes and attaches into the original post you are commenting on.
  2. The ‘Reply’ box at the top or bottom of the entire topic or sub-forum allows you to do a separate reply that shows up at the bottom, that will not include the original post or quotes.
  3. To post a reply with full editing options, choose 'More Reply Options'. This will allow you to post images, videos, and links as well.

How do I post an attachment, image (photo), or video?

Choose 'More Reply Options' - This will give you advanced editing features, including image, video, and link uploads.

How do I edit the title of my topic and access other advanced editing features?

Click on 'Use Full Editor' located on the left underneath the topic you are wanting to edit, between the 'Save' and 'Cancel' buttons.

How do I add a signature to my post?

To add a signature to a post you must first create one via your User Control Panel. Signature creation can be found at the bottom of the Control Panel. Once created, simply hit ‘update’.

Why can’t I access a forum?

Some forums may be limited to certain users or groups and/or may be a ‘Private Group’. To view, read, post or perform another action you may need special permissions. Contact a moderator or Rebecca to grant you access.

Why can’t I add attachments?

Attachment permissions are granted on a per forum, per group, or per user basis. The board administrator may not have allowed attachments to be added for the specific forum you are posting in, or perhaps only certain groups can post attachments. Contact the listed forum moderator if you are unsure about why you are unable to add attachments. We do have the ability to adjust settings to allow for various kinds of attachment files, and we may be able to add yours.

Why did I receive a warning?

It is important that you read the ‘Community Guidelines’ located in our ‘New Members’ section. If you violate these guidelines, you may be issued a warning. Contact the moderator of your forum and/or Rebecca if you are unsure why you received a warning.

How can I report posts to a moderator?

Contact your forum moderator or Rebecca to report any posts you view as generally offensive and/or inappropriate. Our forum-hosting service is working on implementing a ‘report this post’ feature and it will hopefully be available soon.

Why does my first post need to be approved?

This is simply to protect our members from spam users and spam posts.

What are Smilies?

Smilies, or Emoticons, are small images which can be used to express a feeling using a short code, e.g. :) denotes happy, while :( denotes sad. The full list of emoticons can be seen in the posting form. Try not to overuse smilies, however, as they can quickly render a post unreadable and a moderator may edit them out or remove the post altogether. The board administrator may also have set a limit to the number of smilies you may use within a post.

Can I post images?

Yes, images can be shown in your posts.  If your file is not attaching, Contact Rebecca –she may be able to adjust the settings on the back-end to allow you to upload your attachments.

Searching the Forums

How can I search a forum or forums?

Enter a search term in the search box located on the index, forum or topic pages.

Why does my search return no results?

Your search was probably too vague and included many common terms which are not indexed by our forum host’s server. Perhaps be more specific and try again.

Why does my search return a blank page

Your search returned too many results for the webserver to handle. Try being more specific in the terms used and forums that are to be searched.

How do I search for members?

Use the ‘Member Search’ feature via the ‘Search’ bar that is at the top of the forums.

How can I find my own posts and topics?

Your own posts can be retrieved either by entering your user name into the ‘Post Search’ box, accessible via the ‘Search’ box at the top of the forums. You may search for posts via ‘keywords’ or ‘username’. You can also check under your ‘Topic Subscriptions’ within the ‘Control Panel’ once logged in.

Subscribing To Topics and Forums

How do I subscribe to specific forums or topics?

To subscribe to a specific forum, click the “Subscribe forum” link upon entering the forum. To subscribe to a topic, reply to the topic with the subscribe checkbox checked or click the “Subscribe topic” link within the topic itself.

How do I remove my subscriptions?
To remove your subscriptions, go to your User Control Panel and follow the links to your subscriptions.

Community Issues

What are global announcements?

Global announcements contain important information and you should read them whenever possible. They will appear at the top of every forum and within your User Control Panel. Global announcement permissions are granted by the board administrator.

News and Announcements Forum

This forum often contains important information and you should read them whenever possible. This forum appears at the top of every page in the forum to which they are posted. As with global announcements, announcement permissions are granted by the board administrator.

Forum Navigation

What are ‘pinned’ topics?

‘Pinned’ (sticky) topics within the forum remain at the top of the forum they were pinned in. They are often quite important so you should read them prior to participating in a forum. As with announcements and global announcements, sticky topic permissions are granted by the board administrator.

What are locked topics?

Locked topics are topics where users can no longer reply. Topics may be locked for many reasons and were set this way by either the forum moderator or board administrator. You may also be able to lock your own topics depending on the permissions you are granted by the board administrator.

User Levels and Groups

What are Administrators?

Administrators are members assigned with the highest level of control over the entire board. These members can control all facets of board operation, including setting permissions, banning users, creating usergroups or moderators, etc., dependent upon the board founder and what permissions he or she has given the other administrators. They may also have full moderator capabilities in all forums, depending on the settings put forth by the board founder.

What are Forum Hosts and/or Forum Moderators?

Forum Hosts and Moderators are (volunteer) individuals (or groups of individuals) who look after the forums from day to day. They have the authority to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. Generally, moderators are present to prevent users from going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material.

What are usergroups?

Usergroups are groups of users that divide the community into manageable sections the board administrators can work with. Each user can belong to several groups and each group can be assigned individual permissions. This provides an easy way for administrators to change permissions for many users at once, such as changing moderator permissions or granting users access to a private forum.

Where are ‘Private Groups’ and how do I join one?

Private Groups (including Study Groups) are available for those who wish to share more sensitive issues and/or participate in Psychoeducation courses (paid and unpaid). Contact Rebecca and/or your forum moderator if you feel you are in need of a Private Group or are interested in joining a Study Group (which will be listed under ‘News and Announcements’ as they become available).

How do I become a Moderator and/or Volunteer Forum Host?

If you feel you have an offering that would benefit our registered members and is suitable for the theme(s) of our forums, please Contact Rebecca to discuss your ideas.

I have received a spamming or abusive e-mail from someone on this board

We are sorry to hear that. The e-mail form feature of this board includes safeguards to try and track users who send such posts, so e-mail the board administrator with a full copy of the e-mail you received. It is very important that this includes the headers that contain the details of the user that sent the e-mail. The board administrator can then take action. Please send any abusive emails to Rebecca immediately.

Miscellaneous

Who wrote this bulletin board?

The forum software (in its unmodified form) is produced, released and is copyrighted by Websitetoolbox.com. Our hosting company offers strong spam prevention / protection and excellent customer service and are committed to making sure our forums remain a user-friendly site. Rebecca C. Mandeville, MA, is the founder of ChainFree Living Community Forum and is the original creator and Administrator of the site.

Who do I contact about abusive and/or legal matters related to this board?
Contact Rebecca immediately to report abusive posts and/or to inquire about legal matters related to this board.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Create your own forum with Website Toolbox!